Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Not exactly daily huh?

Crap, I haven't wrote nuttin' up lately. Here's what I've been up to, I got one of those dump run bikes up and running for my wife. Thought I had it all set yesterday, my test ride goes fine, she takes it for a spin, works fine. I take it for another spin, and the damn rear derailer tries to wrap itself around the wheel. Today I replaced the derailer it went easy peasy, and now it shifts better than my bike.
I have a set of suspension forks I've been hanging on to for a while, so since I was on the bike repair task, I decided to put them on. Those forks were a no go, they are made for a bike with a larger headtube, fortunately the other bike I got from the dump had suspension forks and functional V-brakes. This mucking around with bikes has got me thinking an investment in bicycle consumables (tubes, chains, pads and cables) is in order, even if things don't get as ugly as the prognosticators surmise, bicycle repair is a side business I wouldn't mind getting into. Never a bad idea to have another source of supplemental income.

The weather has been pretty decent last while, wind has been pretty regular, which has me aching to build a windmill. I've spent a good bit of time headscratchin' to figure out if I want to VAWT or HAWT, radial flux or perhaps a induction motor conversion. I have 3 different brushed DC permanent magnet motors that I could use in a pinch, but I'm sure brush replacement would be a thorn in my side. I even played around with my circ saw and some 2x4 scraps to see what cuts would make it easier to carve some plain jane blades out of common spruce lumber. I really just need to jump in with both feet and build something.

I went running the first time in a long time yesterday. I didn't push further than I'd regret and ran 1/4 mile, it took me 1/2 mile of walking afterwards to recover and probably spit half a liter, but no hacking or phlem. Only wound up with slightly sore quads today the only thing I did close to exercise today was leisurely riding my bike.

If SHTF tomorrow, I'm better prepared than yesterday, I hope you are also.

No comments: