Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fire Suppression, Not Supression Fire

Sure, fire fighting in and around the home isn't as fun to think about as defensive strategies against Cannibal Midget Left Handed Lesbian Eskimo Mutant Zombie Biker Ninjas of the Apocalypse. Pre collapse there is just a slightly higher chance of facing fire, of course post collapse the CLHLEMZBNA and fire will probably raze the land hand in hand.

I have five fire extinguishers around the house, I currently know for sure where four are, but none are hung up in a specific place where others might easily find them. This is a problem that I should obviously rectify post-haste. Ditto for the two first aid kits. Two of the extinguishers are the old fashioned copper hand pumps that contain water and until last week, didn't even contain much water. These two extinguishers were acquired on one of my glorious dump runs and serve as my yard grass & brush extinguishers. The other three fire extinguishers are the common ABC type that are charged with compressed gas and powder, be very careful not to set these off by accident or for fun, they are horrible to clean up after. I just recently found a better replacement for the straight pull pin that falls out at the most inconvenient times, simply replace with a hitch pin. These are still very easy to pull out when needed if you take care to find the correct size.


I've really got to get a list together of items to preposition outside of the house in the event of a fire. Actually why the heck not store the BOBs in one of the outbuildings. A non-electric water pump and hoses should also be acquired so that a fire can be slowed down or held back. Just maybe the volunteer fire department would have a little more to save than the basement by the time they eventually make it here. No I'm not thumbing my nose at them, it's just simple logistics. This week I'll have to check out whether a washing machine pump works decently when powered by a chainsaw or weedwacker engine.

Nighty night, don't let the blood sucking Reptilian Overlords bite!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as the guiness bhoys say: brilliant! ( fitting a pump to a small two stroke engine for fire fighting) brilliant! at least IMHO.
...irishdutchuncle

Phil said...

Good reminder!
I need to get another extinguisher.
Thanks.

Keep writing, I'm reading.

Heckinahandbasket said...

Thanks for the encouragement y'all!
The bit of traffic I've been getting as of late is surprising to say the least.
The two outdoor extinguishers got hung up tonight as did one first aid kit. I also checked over 1 of the ABC extinguishers. You simply check that the pressure is okay on the gauge, then flip the bottle over, you should feel the mass of powder fall, a good rap with a rubber mallet on the side or bottom of the bottle ain't a bad idea either.
I started playing with one of my salvaged weedeaters to convert to a water pump, but was stymied by rotten fuel lines and primer bulb.
Another item to add to the storage list - various size fuel line.