Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mobile Lab of Doom




Well I took the easy way out, I've been contemplating building myself a workshop on wheels and then came across this. It's a 8' by 16' office trailer, that was formerly used as a foremans office out on the pipelines. At this point all it is, is a tandem axle, insulated, propane heated box on wheels. Now I need to salvage some kitchen counters & cabinets and build a little wood stove to keep it warm on the cheap. I do have to do a little maintainance on the exterior tin & caulking, gotta look what Mayberry was using on his escape pod for caulk.

As well as being my MobIle Lab of Doom (MILD), the trailer fills a very important gap in our preps... all season portable shelter. Up in our crook of the continent, most holiday trailers ain't built with enough insulation to be of much comfort in our -40 spells, and the ones that are built for it are way out of our price range.

I also picked up a barely used Lau-Tze 3500 watt portable diesel generator that I hope I'll be able to run my corded tools and welders off of. First attempt at running a welder off of it wasn't real successful, something popped and it wasn't a fuse or breaker, hopefully it was the voltage regulator or capacitor and not a winding within the genset head. I'm only seeing about 2 volts out of any of the various output taps, oh and both of my welders are rated below the supposed capabilities of the genny.

I'll close this post with an update on the condition of the greenhouse, it survived the winter in great shape, in spite of the snow load lower on the walls and all the high winds.

Well I'm off to the archery shop and to get some details on a possible property for our homestead.

TTFN and don't let the shape shiftin' slimy scaley ones gitcha.

2 comments:

M.D. Creekmore said...

I can think of a lot of things to use that little trailer for. Good find.

parvina said...

i love your article. you can visit my website.
coinflation gold and silver app